Skip to main content

Using Windows Media Library as A Media Server (Ft. Visio)



 Disclaimer: This was a few months ago, and the image of the TV's file system is unavailable.

 

 The TV? e500i-b1 by Visio. A couple of years old. I also took the time to update some firmware before doing this.


You can make your own standalone Media Server with some 3rd party software to be 1337....or you can use Windows 10 built in Media Streaming Options.


In an uncanny turn of events, Visio already had an app in place for this very situation: The DLNA Multimedia App, accessed by that large V I've never bothered clicking on the remote.

 

                                        It's between the volume and channel buttons.

 After sharing the appropriate library, it does open a file system with my videos and music.

It did work pretty well besides one finale hurdle: It wouldn't play the 20+ minute video. Shorter clips - think a few seconds - worked quickly enough to repeat several times as the television took seconds to read my input of "Next screen". The lag is so noticeable, it would still be playing the short clips later.

 I think the lag come more from Visio's UI probably not loading everything it needs to initially. It may have to keep going back to grab info, which makes for a poor and slow experience.

I would suggest using this as a media server setup if you really had no other option. I have other computers and could find other software - probably a Linux distro - to make it a little easier, but for consumer-grade technology, this wouldn't take long to figure it out.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting IoT Devices to a Registration Server (Packet Tracer, Cisco)

In Packet Tracer, a demo software made by Cisco Systems. It certainly has changed a lot since 2016. It's almost an Olympic feat to even get started with it now, but it does look snazzy. This is for the new CCNA, that integrates, among other things, IoT and Automation, which I've worked on here before. Instructions here . I don't know if this is an aspect of "Let's make sure people are paying attention and not simply following blindly", or an oversight - The instructions indicate a Meraki Server, when a regular one is the working option here. I have to enable the IoT service on this server. Also, we assign the server an IPv4 address from a DHCP pool instead of giving it a static one. For something that handles our IoT business, perhaps that's safer; Getting a new IPv4 address every week or so is a minimal step against an intruder, but it is a step. There are no devices associated with this new server; In an earlier lab (not shown), I attached them to 'H

Building, Breaking, and Building A CRM with Retool

 I like no- or low-code solutions to things. I've often wanted to simply push a button or move some GUI around and have the code implement itself.  I've thought about building something that's like a customer relationship management (CRM) system for keeping up with my network better than my little spreadsheet where I click links and then go like something. The general idea in this CRM Development is:  To have a GUI to add people to a NRM (Network Relationship Management).       Attach it to a database (MySQL is what I went with eventually using Amazon Relational Database service, but you can use PostGRES, and probably others).     Make sure components are connected to each other in the retool interface. This video is a good start. Watching the tutorial video, heard some SQL commands and went 'Oh no 😳" before going "Wait I know basic SQL", which is good, because you'll see.  When you get set up, there's a plethora of resources you can use -- Incl

Securing Terraform and You Part 1 -- rego, Tfsec, and Terrascan

9/20: The open source version of Terraform is now  OpenTofu     Sometimes, I write articles even when things don't work. It's about showing a learning process.  Using IaC means consistency, and one thing you don't want to do is have 5 open S3 buckets on AWS that anyone on the internet can reach.  That's where tools such as Terrascan and Tfsec come in, where we can make our own policies and rules to be checked against our code before we init.  As this was contract work, I can't show you the exact code used, but I can tell you that this blog post by Cesar Rodriguez of Cloud Security Musings was quite helpful, as well as this one by Chris Ayers . The issue is using Rego; I found a cool VS Code Extension; Terrascan Rego Editor , as well as several courses on Styra Academy; Policy Authoring and Policy Essentials . The big issue was figuring out how to tell Terrascan to follow a certain policy; I made it, put it in a directory, and ran the program while in that directory