Skip to main content

Ring The Alarm: How Reliability Monitor Put Me on The Path to Solving a Serious Sound Problem.

So, here's a tool I didn't know about until now ("now" being when I initially wrote this post in...October?). Windows Reliability Monitor; You can find it by searching (Click the Windows icon and just start typing!)



There are no errors between May 2019 and September 1st 2019:

  • I did not get this laptop until July 2019, and it was refurbished. So, either the monitor doesn't go back more than 5 months, or this machine was returned and wiped and sat in storage for months until I bought it.
  • The numbers on the far left indicate a health score - 10 is best. The problems make the score start at 5.
  •  An update between September 1st and 15th caused some things to not update, including an Intel driver, but we're all good now.


You'll see IntelAudioService and "Stopped Working" under summary.

That is probably the one issue I have truly had with this laptop - The audio will randomly stop. It's nothing a restart can't rectify, but now I know to simply restart the service.

However, a simple restart of the service causes it to die immediately again. This is attributed to a bug in a Windows Update that apparently hasn't been fixed since last year.

 With so many available audio options in the Device Manager, it was difficult deciding which name IntelAudioService was hiding beneath. More research said it's Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology.

That name is up for debate.

I downloaded Lenovo's System Update and installed their Audio Drivers after uninstalling Intel's; After a restart, Intel's were back and Lenovo's were installed, but not anywhere I could find them.

We can mark this problem tentatively 'solved'.


That was in November! It's December, and another issue started - Sound would only work if my headphones were in.

Found out that...for some reason, System Sounds was disabled, and somehow that had something to do with it.

Pictured: Working on speakers.


Also, the sound would work on Steam (Not here) and not on Youtube videos. Firefox was probably muted too. But we shall see.

Other notes;

It usually happens with my Bluetooth headphones, and usually in public places. I'd say 'Bluetooth Interference', but I don't have the problem with my Android phone being connected to it, and it's fairly recent.

In retrospect, sometimes it does struggle to play my podcasts on my phone without skipping severely, which also happens on the laptop occasionally.

The Bluetooth instances happened after I rolled back the Windows 1904 update. Previously, the crashing sound driver was maybe once a week.

So, if you have any recommendations for wired earbuds, please, comment below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting IoT Devices to a Registration Server (Packet Tracer, Cisco)

In Packet Tracer, a demo software made by Cisco Systems. It certainly has changed a lot since 2016. It's almost an Olympic feat to even get started with it now, but it does look snazzy. This is for the new CCNA, that integrates, among other things, IoT and Automation, which I've worked on here before. Instructions here . I don't know if this is an aspect of "Let's make sure people are paying attention and not simply following blindly", or an oversight - The instructions indicate a Meraki Server, when a regular one is the working option here. I have to enable the IoT service on this server. Also, we assign the server an IPv4 address from a DHCP pool instead of giving it a static one. For something that handles our IoT business, perhaps that's safer; Getting a new IPv4 address every week or so is a minimal step against an intruder, but it is a step. There are no devices associated with this new server; In an earlier lab (not shown), I attached them to 'H

Building, Breaking, and Building A CRM with Retool

 I like no- or low-code solutions to things. I've often wanted to simply push a button or move some GUI around and have the code implement itself.  I've thought about building something that's like a customer relationship management (CRM) system for keeping up with my network better than my little spreadsheet where I click links and then go like something. The general idea in this CRM Development is:  To have a GUI to add people to a NRM (Network Relationship Management).       Attach it to a database (MySQL is what I went with eventually using Amazon Relational Database service, but you can use PostGRES, and probably others).     Make sure components are connected to each other in the retool interface. This video is a good start. Watching the tutorial video, heard some SQL commands and went 'Oh no 😳" before going "Wait I know basic SQL", which is good, because you'll see.  When you get set up, there's a plethora of resources you can use -- Incl

Securing Terraform and You Part 1 -- rego, Tfsec, and Terrascan

9/20: The open source version of Terraform is now  OpenTofu     Sometimes, I write articles even when things don't work. It's about showing a learning process.  Using IaC means consistency, and one thing you don't want to do is have 5 open S3 buckets on AWS that anyone on the internet can reach.  That's where tools such as Terrascan and Tfsec come in, where we can make our own policies and rules to be checked against our code before we init.  As this was contract work, I can't show you the exact code used, but I can tell you that this blog post by Cesar Rodriguez of Cloud Security Musings was quite helpful, as well as this one by Chris Ayers . The issue is using Rego; I found a cool VS Code Extension; Terrascan Rego Editor , as well as several courses on Styra Academy; Policy Authoring and Policy Essentials . The big issue was figuring out how to tell Terrascan to follow a certain policy; I made it, put it in a directory, and ran the program while in that directory